Tuesday, November 06, 2007

“Uninvited Guest”


WESTMINSTER PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
November 4th 2007
Communion Meditation
Rev. Mark R. Bradshaw-Miller
“Uninvited Guest”
Luke 19:1-10

When you hear the words of this scripture; where do you see yourself in this story about Zacchaeus? This may seem like a rather odd question but I believe it is critically important to ask. If you are anything like me, when I read any story or see any movie, I find myself indentifying with characters or even imagining myself in the story. That is the goal of most stories, to draw us in and invite us to become part of the action. Those stories of our faith and the stories outside of the scripture which enduring legacies is precisely because they touch us so deeply that we realize the story is really our story.
However, in my limited experience, when it comes to the stories of our faith, we are less conscious of this reality. If you listen to most preaching, and as a preacher I certainly hope that happens from time to time, you might notice how often the preacher identifies him or herself with the role of Jesus. How often do you hear or you have even said: Look at those foolish disciples! Or, those foolish Pharisees, don’t they get what Jesus is trying to teach them? Each time we do this, what we are doing is placing ourselves, often unintentionally, in the position or role of Jesus. While that is certainly the ideal, the risk of such identification is that we become rather self-righteous.
So, in the interest of challenging our unintentional arrogance, let us seek to identify with the other people in this gospel story. I believe if we allow ourselves to be honest and vulnerable, we may just find out that the teaching from Jesus is meant for us. In this encounter, there are three main players. They include; the crowd, which also consists of disciples, Zacchaeus, and Jesus. Since we are suspending our inclinations to be Jesus, at least for the next few minutes, we will only hear from the crowd and from Zacchaeus.
I imagine that a witness from the crowd, not necessarily a disciple, might have had this to say…
‘Despite the heat the turn out was so large I could barely get a glimpse of Jesus. The stories about him were spreading like wildfire. Trouble seemed to be his constant companion, at least when it came to the religious leadership and the politicians. I think it was probably one of the reasons he was so popular among the rest of us. It was like we finally had someone who was on our side. However, our certainty on that day changed when Jesus talked to him. Everybody knows him. After all, He sold us out to the empire and is rich because of it. So, when Jesus called out his name we expected, we hoped that Zacchaeus was finally going to get what he deserved. But, we heard something no one expected.
When Jesus called out his name and made dinner plans at Zacchaeus’ home we were all stunned, and frankly, I was a bit angry. Didn’t Jesus know? Was Jesus a sellout two? Or, was he pandering to the rich and powerful like the so many of the religious leadership? You could hear the anger. But then, something surprising happened, again. Zacchaeus was not the person we thought. It turns out he could actually be a generous guy. All it took was for Jesus to treat him with the same respect and welcome he offered to the rest of us. It was a powerful witness. It turns out that God’s grace and welcome is not only meant for everyone, including those we assume should be excluded.’ Now, let us get a witness, a testimony from Zacchaeus…
‘I am someone who everyone knew even before Jesus called me out. But now that I have encountered Jesus the attention has taken a dramatic turn. But until that day, most of my adult life I was lonely and frankly miserable. It is not because I was in need of anything material. After all, I had or could get anything that money could buy. But, surrounded by a world of comfort I still felt so empty inside. No one wanted anything to do with me so I was really all alone.
Over a period of time I had been listening to stories about Jesus and how he was welcoming tax-collectors and sinners and eating with them. It was a little hard to believe. After all, I may be a tax collector but I learned well from the faithful that God was most concerned with figuring out who to exclude. However, when I heard he was going to be near I decided to take a risk and see if what I heard was true.
Since I am rather short, and I knew no one would let me move to the front, I found the nearest tree to get a better view. As he approached I was filled with a mixture of hope and fear. Then, he spoke my name. What was he going to say? Was he going to humiliate me like the rest? Call me sinner? But instead of a lecture about the law, or sin, or repentance he invited himself my house. Instead of condemnation or condescending help offered to a sinner, I was invited to welcome him. I was so moved inside I cannot fully explain my actions, but I knew what I had to do: Give away all the stuff I didn’t need, and help others with all that I had accumulated. Because of this simple invitation people no longer know me as the miserly tax collector but the generous guy who Jesus acknowledged as a child of God.’
While I appreciate your indulgence into what I image might have been going on inside folk’s heads, I believe that these brief interviews show the powerful and transforming power of God at work. But, it does not end there. I believe these witnesses are inviting us to be honest and to acknowledge the places we are the angry and judgmental crowd which underestimates the limitless nature of God’s grace. Likewise, it is also an invitation to admit our deep alienation, loneliness, and hunger for the acceptance and welcome Jesus offers to all the tax-collectors of the world, including us.
In just a moment we are going to gather around this table and celebrate the feast at which Jesus is the host. It is my prayer that we will all be reminded of the simple truth that we are not Jesus but instead folks who are carrying baggage that keeps us from not only extending God’s limitless grace, but from fully encountering God’s welcome embodied in this sacrament. Let us all pray that God will grant us the grace to let go of the baggage and break free of all the chains that bind us and to which we cling. May we be set free to live our lives and tell the story of how we too have been welcomed, loved and affirmed buy the God we know in Jesus. Amen? Amen.

No comments: